Tater Tot Casserole
My version has beef, frozen veggies, and cheese in this casserole. I know the “tater tot casserole” variations are vast among home chefs, but this is my version. This recipe is adapted from an old NY Times cooking recipe “Tater Tot Casserole” by Molly Yeh.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1/4 c unsalted butter
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3 c milk
- 2 t salt
- 1 1/2 t ground pepper
- 16 oz bag of mixed frozen vegetables
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds of frozen tater tots
- Heat the oven to 400F, and grease two 8×8 pans.
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, cook the beef and onions until the beef is no longer pink. Breaking up any large beef clumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add the butter to the beef and onions. When the butter is melted, add the flour to the beef mixture and stir until there is no longer any visible white flour, or the flour has been absorbed into the fat. Slowly add half of the milk mixture, cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly, and then add remaining milk. Add salt and pepper, and cook until the mixture thicks and starts to bubble. About 5 minutes or so. Then stir in the mixed vegetables and take off heat.
- Evenly divide the mixture into the two prepared pans. Top each pan with a cup of shredded cheese and top with the frozen tater tots.
- To cook immediately: Bake 40-45 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown. Cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Freezer meal prep: Before baking, allow the casserole to cool on the counter. Cover with plastic wrap and foil. The casserole will last about 3 months in the freezer. To cook: thaw overnight in the refrigerator, bake at 400F for 45 minutes uncovered, or until the tater tots are golden.
- Larger Casserole: This recipe also works great in a greased 9×13 pan, just increase the cook time from 40-45 minutes, to 45-50 minutes.